This is a favorite recipe of mine, super filling but really light. It is a good alternative to pasta, especially in summer. The salmon is full of healthy omega-3s. We all need to eat more omega-3s. That's why it's recommended to eat 2 serves a week.
You can do this with any fish, swap in white fish of salmon isn't your favorite seafood. Try roasting some cherry tomatoes alongside the salmon/fish. This adds another flavour dimension and more vegetables. This comfortably feeds two people.
You will need:
- 2 frozen salmon steaks (pop into the sink to defrost, add warm water if vacuum sealed)
- 1 zucchini
- 1 avocado
- 1/4 cup grated parmesan
- 1 tablespoon of pesto (I buy a gluten-free one)
- half a lemon
- 1 tablespoon of black pepper
- a spiraliser, mandolin or very sharp knife
- First, pop the salmon in the oven at 180 degrees Celsius for 20 minutes, I season with some lemon juice and pepper, feel free to add own seasoning - Italian flavours work well in this recipe (Basil, tomato, pepper, garlic).
- Make fine noodles out of your zucchini using the spiraliser, mandolin or using a very sharp knife cut it in half, half again and then thin linguine shaped slices.
- Mash the avocado with the lemon juice, black pepper, and pesto and set aside.
- Once the salmon is cooked through (easily flakes) pop your zoodles on individual plates and top with the avocado mixture and salmon. Top all with parmesan and extra pesto if you want.
- Enjoy :)
- Options: take out the avocado, and beef it up with shredded red cabbage, sliced cherry tomatoes, keep the pesto and lemon as dressing or switch it up for olive oil and balsamic. Yum.
If you are going to a BBQ this could be a good summer warm salad option, break up the salmon into pieces, cut the zoodles into shorter lengths, toss it all together and serve.