My favorite breakfast, although some think it is very bland is porridge, this must be something to do with my British (ahem Scottish) back ground and family's love of it. However my diagnosis as a coeliac has denied me this tasty staple, and will continue doing so until I do the oat challenge.
Oats contain a protein called avenin, which is the glutinous protein in oats. Some coeliacs can have an adverse reaction, due to avenin activating t-cells in the body, similar to what happens when a coeliac eats gluten (and why we have to do an oat challenge). There are also issues surrounding cross contamination due to processing.
However all is not lost, with a bit of experimentation, I have achieved a close resemblance to oats:
- 1/2 cup of quinoa flakes
- 1/2 cup of rice flakes
- 1 gluten free weet-bix biscuit- broken up (adds a porrdige like texture)
- 200-250mL of normal milk or milk alternative
- 1/2 tsp ground cinnamon (add a pinch of nutmeg or even chai latte mixture for wintery porridge)
- 1 tsp maple syrup
- 1 medium banana or your fruit of choice
- 1/4 cup of chopped nuts (almonds and walnuts are my pick)
- Add your dry ingredients, except for the banana into a bowl along with your milk of choice and stir.
- Microwave on high for 1 minute, stir and then zap for another 30 seconds.
- chop up your banana or fruit of choice and add to the bowl along with your maple syrup, nuts and Enjoy!
This can also work as over night oats