Perth doesn't get long winters, and we are pretty lucky when it's 20 degrees and sunny outside however if you're working 9-5. Your potentially missing daylight hours, which can be demotivating. Also, lets face it, it's still cold outside
Here are a few tips for keeping fit during winter:
- You don't have to go outside, invest in a skipping rope and a kettle bell. Certain budget shops which shall remain nameless now carry well priced fitness equipment. Skipping is fun and great for your hand eye coordination, kettle bells are extremely versatile.
- Join a gym, I know, captain obvious right? But having somewhere to go near work or home will motivate you no end (plus if you like to train at noon then you have somewhere to go in summer as well).
- Get a PT, nothing like having someone else make you accountable ;)
- Check out youtube, there are millions of videos from yoga and pilates to weight training for you to have a look at.
- Eat seasonally: beetroot, broccoli, carrots, cauliflower, celery, kale, parsnips, peas, radish, spinach, sweet potato, turnips are all lovely for roasting and winter salads and for fruit, most citrus and apples are in season. Better for you, better for the environment.
- Join a running club or start one with friends, it's tough getting out the door for a run on your own. Friends keep you accountable and you can catch up on life while staying fit.
- Train smart - different training methods like High Intensity Interval Training are more efficient, swap your long runs for hill intervals for the same results in shorter training time slots. Less time outside.
- Spend time with family and friends - the lack of sunshine and cold can get us down, make sure you see your loved ones on a regular basis.